Friday 31 October 2008

Reclaim the Night - tonight at 6.30pm

Tonight is the Reclaim the Night March in Sydney. 6.30pm at Town Hall.

After a week of contact with Peace movements (the Ministry for Peace, the Elders programme) it seems like a great time to take to the streets once again. I remember the first Take Back the Night marches I went on in South Africa. I remember the Rape Crisis Cape Town women wearing "Strong Women in Africa" t-shirts. I loved that T-shirt, and wore it proudly for years.

The stats quoted on the Reclaim the Night website, from the Australian Bureau of Statistics, show that the pressure for solutions and action remains essential. My personal dedication this week is to the four youngsters scared out of their minds by a horrific attack by a crazed sexual attacker in Waterloo in Sydney. Congratulations to those who participated in arresting the alleged perpetrator, and all strength to the survivors and to the family of the young woman who died.My thoughts are with you, and as we say where I come from "I wish you long life".





Travel Blog Directory

2 comments:

Rosemary Shapiro-Liu said...

Have to admit I didn't get to the March - but I was there in spirit!

Melissa said...

I thought you might be interested in this article from today's paper - mentions that this was the 30th anniversary of Reclaim the Night, among other things.

All jokes aside, it's a disgrace
http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/all-jokes-aside-its-a-disgrace/2008/11/03/1225560733793.html