Friday 16 January 2009

Do Important Things First!

photo by Janis Krums

The plane crash into the Hudson River in New York has caused such interest that one website, at least, went down as a result of too many people trying to pass the photo on simultaneously (read full article about Twitpic here).

I, for one, am really pleased that I don't have to rely solely on official news sources and that I can choose to expose myself to the diversity of news and views online. I love the speed at which news gets out. I know accuracy can be compromised, but I think it's worth it. The current Israel-Gaza debate is a case in point - lots of people being able to have their say (myself included) and a really fast spreading of information which is vital for social action that is being taken on both sides, all over the world. It is this, the assistance to social action, that I am most pleased about.

The struggle, of course, is where to draw the line. I can spend whole days following news, views, and social networking niceties. What with our family's rapidly growing family tree on Geni.com, the social and dancing networking and cause related marketing of Facebook, and professional networking on LinkedIn, my work could be cut out for me every day. That's before starting real work.

The idea is to find the right sites, to resist getting drawn into extra applications that are time-wasters, and to put a big sign up on your desk, as I have on mine, that says "Do Important Things First"!.

But with riveting pictures of the rescue of 148 people from a sinking plane in the freezing Hudson River coming up on my news sites as I work, there are times when I don't take my own advice. Good work to the rescuers in New York. A great story of cooperation for this Friday morning.

No comments: