Thursday 11 December 2008

NYE 2008 in Sydney


This image from a magnificent freeze on the vivacity website.

As New Years Eve approaches, there's a discernible buzz in Sydney. I might not have lived here for long, but I have a certain patriotic pride about the Fireworks (something to do with latent pyromaniac tendencies?). I haven't decided about, nor have I really explored, the ecological cost. The fireworks are just awesome. Period.

Imagine, just imagine my joy when I opened the mail this evening to find tickets to the Cahill Expressway vantage point for NYE. Now anyone who lives in Sydney will know that this is a damn fine thing to win! Tickets to see the fireworks up close and personal. To find out what the big orange blob in the middle of the bridge is. To be blown away by some thunder sound effects. I hear Mayor Clover Moore has been making some pretty dizzy noises about "lighting the giant sparkler". Well, who wouldn't.

I dived for google with the Cahill Expressway tickets in my sweaty little paws, and there I found some great websites - the NYE 2008 City of Sydney site with transport and planning information, but even more impressive, VivaCity. It's elegant, it's quirky, and it's very well organised. Do yourself a favour and pop in there.

Enjoy whatever you're planning for NYE. Just one tip from cruel previous experience - make sure that the place you choose for the night has enough loos. I'm already having the pre-NYE dreams about lack of sanitation, and it's not even mid-December!


No comments: