Monday 18 February 2008

World Wide Web - the impact of Diasporas (a la Michael Fullilove)

Today I was privileged to be at the launch of the paper-turned-book of Dr Michael Fullilove, the director of the global issues programme at the Lowy Institute for International Policy here in Sydney. As a new emmigrant his book "World Wide Webs: The Diaspora and International Systems" covered issues close to my heart while providing a fresh new take and some excellent mind-food. For those who don't know, the Lowy Institute's has long been known to be a major think-tank of international policy in Australia.

Today's event was particular pertinent to my journey as I start to figure out where I fit and why, and what impact my history has had on my present and future. Small and personal as these debates sometimes are, Dr Fullilove was able to assist in opening my mind to the wider discussion about the impact of emigration and immigration, governments and policy, local and national pride and allegiances.

In his book Dr Fullilove notes that a diaspora is derived from the Greek word "diaspeirein" meaning to sow or scatter. He says it was used to describe Jews living outside of Israel, but has come to be used much more broadly and has now come to be used to describe transnational communities.

It was only recently that I returned from South Africa, at once inspired by the energy and dynamism of individuals, groups and extraordinary projects there and horrified by some of the stories I was hearing. After some 20 years in the non-governmental community, as an activist and advocate there, I came back to Sydney with a dual heart: at once elated and heavy.

My question was how to relate back to this world and offer something of service. Had I deserted by moving in with the love of my life in the comfortable and safe city of Sydney? Was I a deserter to this new land if I wanted to do work and offer support back to South Africa? Where is my allegiance? Who do I owe what to, if anything?

Of course this is all the more poignant at a time of my application for permanent residency in Australia and a time of increased horror stories back home. Following my brother's political cartoons keeps me in touch with South African issues, remaining involved with projects in South Africa makes me believe that I have something to offer, but the niggling question is always "is this enough?"

The lecture this morning at the Lowy Institute shed new light on the topic. It opened this personal debate to the wider political debate. It emphasised the importance of remittances (money sent back by peoples rather than governments, a particular interest of mine). It highlighted the importance of the "thickening and strengthening" of what Dr Fullilove calls the World Wide Web (a description he believes better describes those living away from their original communities - in his days of international studies the Billiard Board analogy was more often used, but he argues that various nations cannot be impenetrable Billiard Balls rolling around unaffected by the countries they brush up against or have contact with). His paper covering the impact of Diasporas on Homelands and Home Countries is at once fascinating and challenging.

You can find it yourself at http://www.lowyinstitute.org/

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rosemary,

I've been trying to track you down - thank goodness for google! I wanted to have a chat to you about some facilitation. Can you give me a call on 1800 769 484 or email liana at nfpn.com.au? I love your blog!

Cheers,
Liana